Hey family and friends,
Just a quick update on what's happening
in my life. It isn't a long, thought-out one, but rather a blurb to
let you know what's going on recently.
First, the honeymoon period is over and
many of us are feeling it. Thankfully, overall, the group itself has
no huge problems with one another, and I'm still loving the
activities we do through the program or in the city. However, due to
this experience, I do have a new appreciation for international
students and would really like to hug the international students who
study at my school at home, ask them their honest opinion of the
school and professors, and ask if I can help in any way.
Fortunately, we are all going on a
needed break from school for the next week. Because of the elections,
Daystar students have classes off on Monday and Tuesday (the election
is Monday). It's a big national holiday around here, unlike at home,
where all businesses and schools have the day off so that people can
go to their homes to vote. However, instead of only taking Monday and
Tuesday off, our program is getting out of the country for the whole
week. We are headed to the island of Zanzibar. We fly out early
Sunday morning and return Saturday. For the first few days, we will
be in Stonetown. This is the part of the island that has historical
buildings, museums, lots of shops, and restaurants. All these
buildings are on one side of our hotel, and the other side is a
beach. The rest of the week will be spent staying in “cabins” on
the beach (different than the one near Stonetown). It's basically a
tropical paradise. Overall, this week should be one of relaxation and
fun. Little will be planned by the
program, but rather we can decide which activities we want to do. I
am looking forward to both aspects of this trip – the town, with
its history and markets, and the relaxation and ocean breezes of the
beach. I'm not bringing my laptop with me, but I'm sure I'll have a
long blog update when I return.
Today
I held went into Nairobi, went to New Life home, and held babies most
of the day. Tomorrow on the docket is rock climbing.
Keep
praying! Pray for the country as they participate in elections
Monday; it's a big deal here, and can get pretty intense. There is no
clear front-runner at the moment, so anything could happen. The
candidates and other world leaders have been emphasizing peace, and
we all pray that whatever the outcome everything goes over
peacefully. Pray also for me and the rest of the group as we travel,
and for our overall attitudes with our situation and actions towards
one another. I appreciate all of the people who have been following
what has been going on and praying for me and the group! I love you
all.
See
you after Zanzibar!
No comments:
Post a Comment