We have exactly one month until I am on
a plane, headed for the U.S. Crazy, right? Anyway, since I haven't posted in a bit, let me fill you in on what's happened the past two weekends.
In short, I have been immersed in
challenges, God's creation, and friends for two straight weekends.
And I loved it.
Easter weekend
Good Friday wasn't anything too
special, other than we started the day with devotions and prayer as
we do many other mornings here. Kyle and Leah both have The Book
of Common Prayer, and the second
week or so of being in Kenya we began to meet every morning to read
that day's entry and pray. They have special entries for Holy Week,
so we read the Good Friday entry that morning. For me, it was a great
beginning for a Good Friday – appropriately somber and calling
attention to what it was we remember that day in particular. I found
a really interesting quote in that entry:
“Do
you see how the devil is defeated by the very weapons of his prior
victory? The devil had vanquished Adam by means of a tree. Christ
vanquished the devil by means of the tree of the Cross. The tree sent
Adam to hell. The tree of the Cross brought him back from there. The
tree revealed Adam in his weakness, laying prostrate naked and low.
The tree of the Cross manifested to all the world the victorious
Christ, naked and nailed high. Adam's death sentence passed on to all
who came after him. Christ's death gave life to all his children.”
-John Chrysostom
Saturday
many of us got into the bus with other international students and
headed to Thika, where we spent the afternoon at Fourteen Falls.
Called Fourteen Falls due to the fourteen waterfalls that cascade
down several meters, it is a beautiful place. Most of the group
slipped out of their shoes, rolled up their pants, and slipped and
slid across the top of the falls, making it across to the other side.
Three people from the United States group even joined in jumping off
the top of one of the falls into the pool below.
Easter
Sunday some of us started the trek to Lukenya Community Church, which
is about halfway to the pool. Not far into the walk, a car pulled up
next to us, an elderly white couple in the front seats. If I remember
correctly from the early encounter I had with the woman, she and her
husband are some of the original staff members that began the Athi
River campus. If I'm wrong, then either way they have been staff
members at DU for a very long time. Anyway, they pulled up beside the
four of us who were walking and asked where we were headed. Being
headed the same way, they offered us a ride and we gratefully
accepted. I include this story to indicate a general hospitable
nature that is prevalent in Kenya, with most people you encounter.
Lukenya
Community Church was just what I needed that morning. As mentioned
before, I was anxious about being away from my SGCRC family for
Easter, Easter being so special to me. When we got to the small tent
where the services are held, the keyboardist was playing “Christ
the Lord is Risen Today” as a prelude. Once worship started, we
sang my favorite Easter hymns such as “Christ the Lord is Risen
Today,” “Low in the Grave Christ Lay,” “He
Lives,” and “In
Christ Alone.” The sermon was well-done as well – a usual
Easter-type sermon – but it was the worship that made me really
glad to have attended this church on this particular morning.
Monday
dawned and we were preparing to climb our own mountain, Mt. Longonot.
I knew it was going to be steep and long. What I didn't know was
exactly how long it would get. Or how fulfilling it would be to
accomplish that feat.
The
walk up wasn't terrible. Sure, it was tiring, steep, and I was
breathing heavily but Kaitlan and I tried to just keep going. We gave
ourselves pep talks and made goals for ourselves and made it to the
top in good time. It was the next hike that proved to be tougher.
After
pictures, a rest, and lunch, we decided to take the walk around the
crater. Here was where the unexpected adventure began. A short time
into our hike we met an Asian-American family who asked us how long
until they reached the starting point where we'd just come from. The
young girl in the family told us we shouldn't take the hike. Her mom
smiled wryly and just said “shh, tell them the positives.” We
kept going regardless.
Around
the crater is 7.2 kilometers. If Max did the math correctly, 24.5
football fields can
fit inside of the crater. For some reason, we thought this hike
wouldn't be too difficult – it's just walking around. We were
incorrect. The hike included climbing up steep hills, scrambling up
the rocks themselves, sliding down slippery paths, and just a lot of
walking. When we reached the very highest summit of the whole
mountain, we were at 2780 kilometers. That's 9,120,735 feet.
We were higher than some airplanes. Getting up there involved pushing
ourselves up some big hills, enduring pesky gnats that swarmed our
heads, and climbing up some rocks like a ladder. We thought that was
halfway. Not exactly.
We
began the hike at 2:45 and finished just less than 3 hours later. We
hadn't realized the bulk of the hike would consist of the walk around
the crater – most of us were originally just concerned about the up
and down of the initial climb. However, despite the long walk, I was
content. A lot of it had to do with the company. None of us are avid
hikers, yet we all for the most part stayed upbeat and friendly with
one another. There was lots of encouragement and even some laughing.
Plus, it was quite an accomplishment. Even looking at the mountain a
week later, I just couldn't believe we had climbed all the way up
there.
| View of the summit from across the crater |
![]() |
| Inside the crater |
| View of Mt. Longonot from Lake Naivasha |
We
came down shortly after finishing the walk around the crater, dirty,
tired, but feeling accomplished.
Naivasha
The
following weekend we spent a weekend camping near Lake Naivasha.
Being a girl who loves camping, I was really excited just to be at a
campground. But there was more than just camping that this weekend
had in store.
We
stayed in tents at Fisherman's Camp. This camp is right on the shores
of Lake Naivasha, one of the bigger lakes in Kenya. However, this
lake is not like the lakes in Michigan where you can feel free to
swim. These are hippo-infested waters, and hippos are one of the most
dangerous animals in Kenya. Within a few minutes of arriving, while
we were still waiting for our tents to be set up, we spotted our
first hippo in the water, right along the shore of the campground's
campus. Thankfully, the hippos stay in the water during the day, only
venturing out later at night when the electric fence separates them
from the sleeping campers.
Saturday morning we headed down the road to Hell's Gate National Park. This park was the inspiration for the animator's of Disney's The Lion King when they were creating the scenery for the movie. It's also the only national park in Kenya where you can ride a bike right alongside the many animals that inhabit the park.
Saturday morning we headed down the road to Hell's Gate National Park. This park was the inspiration for the animator's of Disney's The Lion King when they were creating the scenery for the movie. It's also the only national park in Kenya where you can ride a bike right alongside the many animals that inhabit the park.
Koly
and I split off from the other girls that had come in the first wave
of people to the park about one kilometer into the bike ride, heading
for the tall, craggy rock tower called Fisher's Tower. She and I, and
later Tyler and Kyle, were going rock climbing. Not the “fake”
rock climbing up a wall like on many campuses or adventure sites in
the sites. This was literal rock climbing, finding holds in the
cracks of rocks to try to make your way to the top. Intimidating to
me, having never done this type of rock climbing before and being a
girl who was once mildly afraid of heights (last summer at Grace
Adventures broke me out of that fear). But I was determined to make
it to the top. Despite some challenges with figuring out certain
tricky areas of the rock, I made it to the top and sat looking out
over the scenery. Across from me was Mt. Longonot. I had to grin,
sitting atop one accomplishment and looking at another.
After rock climbing, Koly and I hopped on our bikes and headed for The Gorge. This is the place where “the stampede chased Simba,” “Mufasa died” and there's the original “pride rock” (all in quotes because, of course, it was animated). It took us about an hour to bike there, and we rode alongside zebras, giraffes, warthogs, and gazelle (as well as buffalo on the way back). Koly and I decided to take the shorter hike through The Gorge, something no one else in our group decided to do. We also invited a friendly young woman from Switzerland to join us, paid a guide, and headed down, down, down. It took an hour to hike through the ravine, gazing at crazy natural rock formations, feeling the water pouring down from hot springs, and re-creating scenes from The Lion King in our heads while humming tunes. The hike itself, as Koly put it, “isn't for older people.” It involved a lot of jumping, balancing on slippery rocks, leaping over puddles, and we were even bouldering down a wall at one point. By the time we emerged from below, Koly was cleaning the mud off my face and my tennis shoes had puddles inside of them. Then we had to bike the hour back to the gate to leave, and by that time my body was exhausted. Yet given the choice, I would have chosen to do everything I did that day all over again.
After rock climbing, Koly and I hopped on our bikes and headed for The Gorge. This is the place where “the stampede chased Simba,” “Mufasa died” and there's the original “pride rock” (all in quotes because, of course, it was animated). It took us about an hour to bike there, and we rode alongside zebras, giraffes, warthogs, and gazelle (as well as buffalo on the way back). Koly and I decided to take the shorter hike through The Gorge, something no one else in our group decided to do. We also invited a friendly young woman from Switzerland to join us, paid a guide, and headed down, down, down. It took an hour to hike through the ravine, gazing at crazy natural rock formations, feeling the water pouring down from hot springs, and re-creating scenes from The Lion King in our heads while humming tunes. The hike itself, as Koly put it, “isn't for older people.” It involved a lot of jumping, balancing on slippery rocks, leaping over puddles, and we were even bouldering down a wall at one point. By the time we emerged from below, Koly was cleaning the mud off my face and my tennis shoes had puddles inside of them. Then we had to bike the hour back to the gate to leave, and by that time my body was exhausted. Yet given the choice, I would have chosen to do everything I did that day all over again.
Sunday
we got up close and personal with the hippos on Lake Naivasha. From
our campsite, boats offered tours around the lake to see the hippos
and the lake. I was fortunate to get in the boat that ended up being
the lead boat, so lots of hippo heads sticking out of the water
before they would submerge themselves. Our boat even ran over a hippo
at one point! We also were fortunate to see two African fish eagles
swoop in to eat the fish our boat driver tossed to them. I had never
seen these creatures in their natural habitats before this weekend,
of course, and I was reminded of just how creative God is.
God
has created a masterpiece in creation here in Kenya. The past two
weekends have shown me the beauty of nature.
Furthermore,
it also showed me a lot about myself. Never again should I believe I
shouldn't try something because it's going to be challenging for me.
I climbed a mountain and rock-climbed up a tower this weekend. I
biked several kilometers and walked for an hour through a gorge all
after pushing my body to reach the top of the tower. I can't tell
myself I can't do something. I can. I just need to give myself the
opportunity to challenge myself. I'll end up feeling proud of myself
and very accomplished by the end.


So ambitious - wow! I'm so impressed that you did all these things! I don't think Nick will be able to call you lazy any more. :)
ReplyDelete