Friday, June 21, 2013

Pathfinders Week 2... God's challenge for our staff.

I sit here this Friday night, pretty worn out from this entire week but happy I'm here. This was one of the craziest, toughest, and most memorable weeks of camp I've had. 

Similar to last week, we had very few Pathfinders. Carla and I combined to have 9 girls, and the guys had 11 teens. Also similar to last week, Kyle and I were paired up as small group leaders. But unlike last week, nearly every camper was returning to camp and some were even returning for their 2nd year of Pathfinders. Looking at that list at the beginning of the week, it seemed that fact might make it a little easier. Well not exactly.

We quickly realized our biggest struggle for the week would be focus and respect while others talked. This went for both groups. I'll admit I fell into some certain teacher habits (“you're only wasting your own time”) when trying to gain back control. They sort of worked, but this is going to need to be an area I work on before becoming a teacher – gaining back the focus of my students. However, we had the advantage that we knew some kids had been here before and could be influencing these groups for the better if they stepped up and implemented leadership. This worked with some individuals, and that made it easier. 

We got through the first two days without too many major hitches. Then Wednesday came. The most interesting day that was so full of roller coaster moments as I hadn't personally experienced before.
As I believe I mentioned previously, part of the Pathfinders curriculum is teaching about the five major worldviews. This week, each of the counselors took one of the four worldviews (the four beside Christian theism) to teach each morning. I began this morning teaching spiritism. It went all right, and I even got kids interested in watching the 1990 movie, Ghost, because I showed a clip from it. Anyway, after lunch, during free time, one of my highlights of the day came along. Tubing was open, so Kyle and I went with a couple campers. When that ride was over, not many campers were lined up to go tubing. Kyle and I were already in the water, Carla was standing on the shore debating tubing, and Josh was just near the point. Carla jumped into our group, but we needed a fourth. Guess who we asked; Josh. The 3 people I've been working with, growing close to, and connecting with in a way different than any other staff, all participating in one of my favorite camp activities. I couldn't help but grin. Kyle and I ended up in the water while Carla and Josh both stayed dry, but that's besides the point. 
 
I couldn't have guessed then just how quickly this day would turn, and be one of the most jam-packed, longest days ever. Near the end of free time, I see coming towards me a Pathfinder camper being escorted quickly by a staff member, and something red all over his chin. Yup, that's blood. The news traveled before he even reached me that he'd bit through his lip while tubing. A counselor has to attend him to the hospital, so Kyle rushes off and my heart is racing for no other reason than we are one counselor down and a kid in our care is headed to the hospital. I'm able to settle down, but I already know that my hour off is not going to happen at the scheduled time; we'll be in small groups, and I'm the only half of my team currently on campus. Not a big deal in light of the situation. 
 
Our next activity was talking about change, which was one of the favorites of the campers last week. Josh is leading this, and is using a “mission” (activity accompanying the lesson to enhance the teaching) that we used in staff training in 2012. In this mission, the kids are asked to untie knots in a rope but while they work on this task, the rules are constantly changing and new obstacles to completing the task arise. My team is doing pretty good, going faster than expected, so we escalate to one of the harder obstacles, which is completing the task blindfolded. This is where the group stalled, and they entered a major “storming” stage, meaning there was conflict among the members that if resolved well could really bring them together. It also includes a lot of frustration in the group. “Frustrated” was a bit of an understatement at this time; there was some yelling, some absolute refusal, and a lot of complaints about the task. After the mission is complete, and we're talking through it and what could be learned, there's still a lot of tension between each other and some between some of the group and me. They sort of started to see my point by the end – change will occur, obstacles will arise, and new actions need to be taken – but the frustration didn't disappear. This makes me a little concerned knowing what's coming after dinner... the infamous geocaching hike. Maybe they'll do well on this, and not get lost?

Good news – we never left Grace property this time. Bad news – we found one item and ended up at the Ranch, about 2 miles away from where the coordinates actually were leading. This time I wasn't upset or scared, because a) the adventure core was with me (Kyle had returned, but had nearly passed out in the hospital so wasn't in any condition to hike) and b) I knew where we were, and that they weren't doing it right. So I'm covering my grin. The team, on the other hand, wasn't so thrilled. Actually, they were pretty ticked off. Many of them didn't want to hike, were mad that they had walked so far, upset they didn't find the items, and overall shut down in their attitude towards me since I had led them through two “stupid” tasks in a matter of hours. Not exactly the greatest thing for me as a counselor to have my campers not willing to really listen. Thankfully, we got back and I didn't have to lead anything in the small group setting. 
 
Some conversations that day also became heavier, and more challenging, which didn't exactly help my day. We did finish the night with healthy relationships, one of my favorite sessions, but by the time 11:00 lights out rolled around I couldn't believe it was all happening in one day. I was mentally and physically exhausted, and even still my mind wouldn't shut off very easily. After finally just unwinding a little through some reading, I fell into bed.

I'm happy to say that this day wasn't typical of the week as a whole, but definitely a defining day of the week. Thursday got better, was much more relaxing, and overall the end of the week was enjoyable. Even so, fighting for attention, fighting against some inappropriate behaviors, and handling all this week threw at me wasn't easy. But I came out of it, and I had a good Friday night, and hopefully a rejuvenating weekend.

So it's official. I made it through 2 weeks of camp. The rest of the summer is flip flopping between working with these kids again during service weeks and working with “normal” camps. I switch to Explorer Camp for this next week, 9-11 year-olds. It'll be an interesting transition, but I have done this camp before and have very fond memories of it. So what I need prayers for right now is a) a calming weekend and b) a smooth transition and a good week. I would pray that my week with the Explorers is “easy,” but that's selfish of me and sometimes seeing God work in the hardest weeks is the most impactful. We shall see what he decides to bring me for the next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment