Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Semester goals... Mid-term.

A couple weeks ago, one of my friends mentioned in Outcry (the weekly student-led worship service) that as seniors, we only have so many Outcrys left. Then, at the end of the hour, we circled up as we so often do, and sang “My Friends May You Grow in Grace” as a Trinity community, hands latched together. I glanced around at the faces, and saw faces of seniors who were hall-mates, roommates, classmates, friends, or just people I've spent time with along the way, and I nearly started crying. I've already felt somewhat of a shift this year from the regular hang-outs to less time together as many are more busy with senior-level classes, internships, novice teaching, student teaching, and leadership positions than before (myself included). But we only have so many more times to gather Thursday nights for worship, or to spend time together on “I don't wanna do homework, let's watch a movie” nights, or to go out on dinner dates. I'm (most likely) going to be spending part of next semester student teaching in MI, and even when I'm back on campus so much of my time will be spent at the school, grading, or writing plans for the next week. Plus several friends are going abroad, or also starting internships, and so the time to spend with one another is passing us by – quickly.


So instead of making this post all sentimental (there will be PLENTY of those to come), I want to set some goals, so I don't waste the precious time I have left - which is starting it's downhill slide towards the end of the semester, as this week marks midterm!
These may or may not be the typical specific/measurable/attainable/relevant/time-bound goals that education always asks for, but, hey, I'm not getting graded.... I don't think.


  1. Spend weekly time with my closest friends who are not a part of Tib 30, in Women of Lockerbie, or in English classes with me. Note: that isn't to say my closest friends who are in those 3 categories don't count... bear with me. Anyway, back to goal 1. For those girls that I don't necessarily cross paths with because our schedules don't demand it, I will demand it. And already I haven't done a good job with this... But I want to improve. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll always be a couple hours together, because let's be honest, that isn't always possible weekly. Maybe it's just a stop in your room on a study break, or twenty minutes of dinner together. As long as I see you every week, and talk for more than five minutes, I'll be happy. Of course, I will welcome spending a couple of hours together as well, as long as we both have free time!
  2. Minimize the complaining about my profs, and daily remember just how grateful I should be, and am. No offense to everyone else from other colleges who believe their professors are the best, but seriously – Trinity professors rock. In education, I constantly hear how important it is to build relationships with your students, and Trinity professors have definitely modeled that. They know my interests and hobbies – they ask about the play, they make suggestions about topics they know I'll enjoy writing about or participating in, they comment on my Courier articles, or they refer to me in class when they know it's a topic I am knowledgeable about. They're willing to chat with me, about school, teaching, or just life. If I am feeling overwhelmed, they usually will extend grace on assignments and an empathetic word. And yet, I never want to ask for extensions unless I have a superb reason because I don't want to let them down either; I would hate to disappoint any of my profs, and I've actually shed a tear in some of their offices because I feel terrible about the fact I accidentally slept through a class when I was supposed to turn in a project or my hard drive crashed and my finished paper was erased. They support my efforts, building me up and yet also providing feedback on where I can improve. All of this goes for some professors I've only had once as well – it doesn't matter, they remember my name and could strike up a conversation with me when they see me passing by. When I returned from Kenya last year, I was just as excited to see some of my professors as I was to see my friends, and I actually went around to several of their offices to just say hi. And this semester is the last semester I'll be taking classes, aside from my student teaching course. I want to enjoy the time I have with these wonderful adults and mentors. And I don't want to let time go by with me complaining rather than appreciating the blessing I have going to a college with professors like these.
  3. Have weekly real conversation, lots of laughs, and quality time with my girls of Tib 30. I know we're all running 500 directions – softball, psych club, classes, work, theatre, Roseland – but I want to spend time every week together, all of us, making memories. Maybe we're still doing some light homework, but all sitting together and chatting while doing it. Maybe that's dinner together, since we now have a kitchen. It could also be chunks of quality time I get with each of you, at different times when our schedules allow. Perhaps we create a short amount of time where the words softball, class, theatre, psych club, and work-related terms are not allowed to enter conversation so that we all can share our own time, free of discussion of other extra-curriculars we're apart of separately. I'm just throwing ideas out there, but I seriously need more quality time with you girls, so that this semester doesn't pass me by and I never get a chance to make the good memories of Tib 30.
  4. Spend more time with friends I met through theatre... But spend that time out of the theatre. We've had one girls night with 3 of my close friends, and it was lovely. This needs to happen more. And for others, perhaps let's grab dinner together sometime, or go out to Plush Horse. Essentially, let's just catch up when we aren't making blocking notes, running through scenes, or setting up for a performance.
  5. Stress less over my schedule. This is a whole lot easier said than done, and I guarantee I will stray from this goal several times. But it's a goal nonetheless. The thing is, I'm pretty good at time management (I say as I have spent a couple hours/days, combined, typing this post... but really, I am a good time manager, I swear). I need to trust myself that it will get done because I'm going to make sure it does. Yes, on those days that I don't come back to the room from 8 am-11 pm because of class, novice, work, and rehearsal, that means a late night of homework. But that isn't time I'm wasting, and I'll get the homework done as efficiently as possible, get some rest, and start again tomorrow. And also, I should be okay to take a half hour break during those other days I may have more leeway with my time. I'll burn myself out if all I do is go, go, go with work and never let my mind take a break. With all that's on my plate, and with my inherent drive to complete tasks, I will work everything out with my schedule. Then, once I've already made a plan, I need to just let it be and not fret over every detail. I have a plan, and things may come up, but I'll bend and I will get it done. So stop stressing, self!
  6. Don't spend frivolously. I didn't earn an income during last semester, and I won't next semester either (I'll be doing too much work to earn a living... figure that one out!). I don't even want to talk about the loan payments that await me after I graduate. And I'll also be taking on more financial responsibilities as I start a real life – rent, bills, groceries, etc. With all of that awaiting me, plus still having to make tuition payments for the next 1.5 semesters, I cannot afford to throw away money on things I don't necessarily need. Groceries – necessary, but I don't need 2 cases of pop, a few boxes of name-brand cookies, and a bag of candy just because I feel like it. Spending a few bucks on used books I find for my classroom library – pretty useful and a good idea, but I don't need to be spending $20 per book just because I want to read it. And I certainly don't need to buy another plaid shirt just because it's cute.
  7. Take more pictures! I'm usually a picture-taking queen. Yet, I noticed as I posted this blog, I have hardly any pictures from this semester. So this needs to be remedied.

That's a solid start, I think. Perhaps made a little too late,being already half-way through the semester. Yet, I do still have some time to make these a reality in my life. And I am not letting it go to waste, if I can help it.


You all can help, too. Some of these I'm going to need some support and some cooperation in order to make steps toward reaching these goals. Now that I've put this out there for you, my world, to see, a) I won't be able to slack and b) you all know what I want to do, and can make plans to help me. I hope you all can agree to that for me.
You all rock, and I love each one of you (appropriately).

No comments:

Post a Comment