One of the biggest events of 2013 was the semester I spent in Kenya. It was a semester I will never forget. From January to May, I embarked on adventures I never thought I would be participating in. I saw giraffes, zebras, lizards, and monkeys on a daily basis; I rode ostriches (and ate some) and petted elephants; I went on three safaris and snorkeled for two hours in the Indian Ocean; I slept on a beach on a tropical island; I saw incredible sunrises and sunsets; I rock-climbed and hiked several miles; I taught in Kenyan classrooms; I slid down a waterfall and danced with African tribal warriors. It affected my views of my own community as well as other parts of our world, provided new friendships, impacted my view of myself, and overall gave me unforgettable memories.
Shortly after that semester came another highlight of 2013 – working at Grace Adventures. As evidenced by the rest of my blogs, my time working with the high schoolers for most of the summer was challenging, fun, thrilling, and helped me grow and prepare for what is to come in my life.
The fall semester at Trinity was also unlike any other. It included novice teaching, which had its share of challenges but overall gave me confidence for the future. I was able to have real experience in a classroom, and found my excitement for having my own classroom growing and my belief in myself improving. I know I can and will be a good English teacher. It also included another production as the stage manager, as have other semesters at Trinity, but this one was special. I really loved the script, the acting, and the actors in it. Plus, it was my last, which made it even more bittersweet. In fact, the semester held a lot of lasts, and goodbyes to things and people I will miss. The fall semester flew by, and I am just one step closer to being finished with my time as a Troll.
Finally, the most life-changing – and unexpected – part of this year was God placing an amazing man in my life. Kyle is everything God knew I needed. He is a man who loves God with his whole heart, and serves as a spiritual leader for me as well. He cherishes me, and isn’t afraid to show it. He and I fit and it’s fantastic. I cannot wait to see what the years have in store for us, but 2013 will always be special as the year it all began.
There have also been low points of this year. There have been pointless attacks and shootings that have affected our world. Beloved members of the community have passed away, some of them unexpected. The Calvin Christian community lost one of my favorite teachers and an excellent man of faith. It's still hardly to believe he isn't directing the band again this year, but quite a legacy he left. It's a similar feeling for many others from this past year – this feeling of loss, of incredulity that the person isn't around anymore. Despite all the highs, 2013 has brought some heartbreaks too.
So, 2013 draws to a close tonight. I get to spend it with Kyle (first New Year’s kiss I’ve ever had! Woo hoo!), Jess, and Corey (her boyfriend). The most perfect people to usher in 2014 with. This next yearm too, will hold many highs, lows, and suprises. But just as in 2013, God already has it mapped out. I look foward to finding out his plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment