Monday, April 21, 2014

Going Up

 **student teaching week 15**
This past week improved quite a bit from the previous two weeks. Though the kids were still talkative and occasionally disrespectful, I felt better about the week and I think the kids enjoyed, mostly, what I was teaching. This week I was introducing the students to Poe, which is the next unit we begin. Despite my nerves about it, once I found a mystery story to read, I was excited to go through it with the students. And the students seemed intrigued, too, and after the first day some even read ahead to find out the ending. I could hardly discourage that, although I encouraged them to keep some details a secret. The story ended up taking the whole week, which was unexpected, but actually allows for me to have more planning ahead for the week to come. In the end, I'm more excited about the Poe unit than I was a week ago.


Another positive that came toward the end of the week is another new behavior system, which my cooperating teacher was planning to implement in the last unit of the year anyway. It involves Class Dojo, and marking when students display a negative behavior. My teacher and I discussed which behaviors need to be cut down, and what consequences we will enforce. It was then explained to the students, and has already been implemented. I'm hoping this also improves the students' behaviors or reinforces what's appropriate for the classroom.


I am hoping these next three weeks remain on the higher side as far as good behaviors and fun with the students. I want to have positive relationships with these students, and I love it when I can laugh with them. I want to end this semester on a high note, including with my students. With only three weeks left, I am leaning on God's strength to carry me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment